Network Systems Engineer
Corporate (San Antonio, TX)
This role is responsible for the design and support of Microsoft and other infrastructure systems development tasks, to include integration and formal testing. The Network Systems Engineer also provides support for current production systems and develops system specifications, as well as technical and logistical requirements. Additionally, this role entails creating and maintaining technical documentation to ensure efficient planning and execution for all of the aforementioned processes.
- Networking: Support IP networks to include switch and router configuration and troubleshooting. Must be familiar with subnets with working knowledge of risk domains, tiered domains, TCP/IP fundamentals, Ethernet, IP subnetting, cabling (copper & fiber), OSPF, VLAN Trunking, VLANs, and switching configuration. Applied experience with LAN and wireless communications technologies utilizing switches.
- Network Management (control of routers, switches, etc.) This includes, but is not limited to monitoring routers, switches, and circuits for failures and recommending corrective action.
- Work with IP networking, Security, and telephony/video (Network Services)
- Maintain, upgrade, patch, recover, troubleshoot and provide general support of Network Services infrastructure.
- Monitor availability and performance Network Services environment
- Document processes for internal policies and procedures related to Network Services infrastructure
- Assess, document, and implement changes as required in conjunction with risk and security.
- Perform infrastructure configuration management activities and follow change management procedures for implementing any changes to the production environment
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, and standards in support of Network Services and its product development efforts
- Assist with the creation, implementation and maintenance of standard operating procedures for equipment installation, configuration support, and division network operations which improve service and repeatability
- Assist with maintenance and support of division and facility-level network security equipment, including but not limited to: network equipment, VPN concentrators, and firewalls.
- Participation in and support of division and facility-level technical implementation projects
- Provides 24x7 on-call support based on division IT staff rotation , to assist with troubleshooting, coordination, escalation, and resolution of network or security-based incidents, equipment failures, etc
- Directory Services
- Domain Name Service (DNS)
- Vulnerability Scanning
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
- Security Information Event Management (SIEM) or similar dashboard for alerts/health & status
- Security Infrastructure Management and Log Collection
- Network Time Protocol (NTP)
- Responsible for responding to customer support requests by taking ownership of the ticket, working the problem, documenting the resolution and time required and communicating the high-level details effectively to the client
- Configure, deploy, and manage server hardware and software configurations to include but not limited to, Microsoft Server, Exchange, Office 365, Active Directory, virtual environments (VMWare and Microsoft Hyper-V), and basic Cloud Services (AWS, Azure)
- Configure, deploy, and manage basic network infrastructure appliances to include but not limited to, switches, routers, UTMs, wireless access points and firewalls
- Troubleshoot and support storage solutions such as iSCSI, Fiber Channel and NAS
- Configure, deploy, and manage basic security solutions for email services
- Fundamental knowledge and experience in Linux/Unix operating systems and command line
- Working technical knowledge of common network topologies and hardware [i.e., ad trans, firewalls, load balancers, servers, etc.]
- Diagnose performance problems using available standard performance tools and system indicators
- Security: Secure all computer systems and networks from viruses, malware, user access, or malicious access by the use of firewalls, protocols, standards, access controls, and monitoring
- Microsoft Windows Server: Will manage existing Active Directory on user and group administration, group policy, and troubleshooting
- SQL: Will manage Installation and Configuration of highly available SQL clusters. Does not require DBA SQL level skills
- General: Required to maintain knowledge awareness of constant new or emerging technology in order to determine implementations and integration of opportunities with cross-platform technologies
- Technical Capability
- Strategic Thinking
- Communication Proficiency
- Customer/Client Focus
- Organizational Skills
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- This position regularly requires long hours and frequent weekend work.
- Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out of the area and overnight travel may be expected.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasional bending, stooping, reaching, reaching above and below shoulder level, twist and work with computer equipment.
- May involve lifting up to 30 pounds of equipment.
- Ability to identify and distinguish colors, ability to see distance and up close with or without corrective lenses.
- Must be able to sit, for long periods, without leaving the work area.
- Must be able to push and pull items as needed/required.
- Ability to walk considerable distances during the course of his/her work.
Desired Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related degree with 3 years’ experience or 7 years related field experience.
- Solid technical knowledge and experience in the use and application of the most current technologies and products used in the industry.
- Active Directory 2008 R2 or Higher
- Windows 7 installation or Higher
- Microsoft Office 2010 or higher/365
- Microsoft Exchange 2010 or higher
- VMware 5.5 or higher experience
- SQL 2012 or Higher
- Leadership: a demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Strategy and planning: an ability to think ahead and plan over a 12-24 month time span.
- Management: the ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Information systems development and implementation,
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
- Employee training and development.
- User training.
- Strong customer orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- High performance teams and a strong team player.
Beneficial Skills & Experience
• Security+ certification or equivalent preferred.
• PowerShell knowledge and experience desired.
• High-level knowledge of backup systems and technologies needed.
• Master’s degree in relevant field.
• System conversion experience.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.